View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Re: What I did today...

Here's a little background on the 5.3.

My initial intention was to run an I6 with a 4 barrel/split exhaust, from one of the old pontiac sprint sixes, backed up by a NP833 o/d tranny and a 3.42 12 bolt. This is the direction I was going and then I ran into a friend of mine that has a towing service. We were talking and I asked him if he had any late model stuff. He then told me about an '05 rollover that he had.

I went to his impound to look at it and it turns out it was an '03 that had been sitting for a year/year and a half with the hood up and the front end pretty much torn away leaving the motor partially exposed to the elements. For those of you that don't know, we tend to get alot of rain here in south Alabama.

I immediately called and asked him if he minded if I covered the motor up to help protect it, from that point forward anyway, and asked him what he wanted for it. I was told to cover it if I wanted too and he would get back with me on a price. Didn't hear from him for a week or so, called him up and he still didn't have a price. We talked about it and he told me $1000 for anything I needed to make the motor run in my truck. This is when the direction of my '64 started to change.

We talked back and forth for several weeks and he ultimately brought the truck out to my ol' shed/shop where I work on my stuff and told me to get what I wanted off of it. Now that the motor is out I intend to talk with him again and see how liberal "whatever I want" is. I hope to keep the column, ALL of the wiring harness, gas tank, rearend(and if I get that I would like to have the master cylinder/brake booster too), the seats and pretty much anything else tha I can remove and possibly use for my '64.

Right now, my poor ol' 64 is sitting on jackstands with no front clip and the rear suspension has been removed. I installed a CPP C-notch and then found out that the studs on the Firestone bags that I have were not long enough to bolt in with the notch. I was planning on getting another pair of bags when the 5.3 deal came up. Then the Holidays...

Basically my truck has been on hold waiting for more funding and motivation. It's time to start bulling forward with it, even if it means reinstalling my drop springs for the time being.

Whew! That was a mouthful!!
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote