View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #80
Rack Man

Re: "FRAME OFF" Has Begun - Wish Me Luck! - Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
I know you swapped to a later front axle but did you change the rear axle to a '71 or later housing?

Not 100% sure about the 4x4's but 2wd models, starting in '71, the axle widths became 1.5" wider, which could account for the brake lines being too short.

Also, starting in '71, with disc brakes, the hard lines were in front of the axle, where the flex line would connect, not behind like your frame is setup for. This could also account for the front lines being too short. Again, this info is relating to 2wd models so 4x4's might be different but it could be something to check.

That is always part of the fun when swapping in parts that are not for the exact year and/or model, you start to find all the little differences.

Hope the info might help you. Nice build!
I appreciate the insight....

Well, I'm 99.9% sure that both of my axles were original.....the existing GM 12 bolt hard lines do not have the spring wrap like in the 71-72 and fit perfect....the bends on the new ones are fine....their just too short on the last leg before the "T".....

On the front brake lines....I explained to Inline Tube exactly what I was doing as far as the axle swap.....They said no problem...but not only was the length wrong....the fitting that goes through the frame had the wrong ID to accept the new lines they sent me....

Also, my existing drum lines entered the frame in front of the axle, just as your claiming that the Disk should.....is that a correct statement or did you mean the opposite?.....because the length would have been correct if I mounted them on the rear side of the bump stops....

Here is a pic of where my existing front lines entered..

Thanks, Dan

Last edited by Rack Man; 01-07-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote