View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #20
gavotter333

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69halfton View Post
i had a brand new 383 stroker built, nd right from day one the valvetrain had been making tapping noises. went back to the builder, and like you, he suggested a heavier motor oil. i started running 20W-50 and the tapping noises seemed to go away for another 2000 miles. well the tapping came back a little, and seemed to get worse as the motor warmed up ( the oil is getting thinner) well one day is started BANGING. like serious vavledrain problems. i had a whole batch of bad lifters (hydralic) and they were just plain wearing out. i only chaged the two that were seriously bad, as all the others seemed fine, the motor ran good for about 3-4 days, now the noise is starting to creep back up again.

take the valve covers off, and if you have hydraulic lifters, just push down agaisnt the lifters. if you do this within about a half hour of running the engine (the lifters havent bled down yet) they should be extremly firm, and you shouldn't get much movement out of them. also check for consistency, make sure you get the same amount of movement out of all of them..

if they need replacing, I'd replace them with some good ol' GM performance hydralic lifters...

..sorry for the long post.
Dont be sorry . All is good.

I am going to do what you have suggested. I am not completely inept when it comes to motors. Just not as confident as I was when I was younger and this seems a little over my skill level. Ill let you know what I find.
gavotter333 is offline   Reply With Quote