View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #31
kustombrad

Re: Project "49 No Buck$"

I started on the exhaust with a pile of u-bends (3") that I'd bought on Ebay and a 10' tube of 3" muffler pipe I'd had laying around. Now being the cheap guy I am, I figured I'd rather make it than going to the muffler shop. I had a set of 1 5/8" med. tube Thorley headers and figured I'd start from there. I mocked up the left side and decided move the flange back. I cut off the original flange and after cutting up some bends moved it back another foot and a half. I went the high route because I didn't want the exhaust hanging too low and getting banged up. Next I did the pass. side. I hade to notch the frame a smidge (sorry, I like the word) so I had clearance for engine movement. Did the same with the flange on that side too. and then ran some pipe to the back of the cab. Trying to keep it all up high I figured I'd mount the mufflers at an angle, plus it keeps them out of the way. I need to finish adding the bolt flanges to the mufflers (thought I had enough and was 1 set short) so I need to finish those. Ended up using Magnaflow mufflers after deciding I wanted to drive the crap out of this thing and not be deaf from using Flowmasters! Went against my plan, because I already had the flowmasters. Oh well! I gas welded the tubes together and a mig for all the brackets and heavier stuff. After I ran the tubes over the rearend, I decided to kick them out about 2" to the inside of the leafsprings. You could run them out farther if you wanted, but I hate seeing pipes sticking out of the sides of the truck. I need to finish welding the tubes up and then we move to the fuel tank mounting!
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote