View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #106
gavotter333

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long69 View Post
dude asks what could be wrong. gets plenny answers. even yanks a valve cover as suggested but fails to check oil for metal which is even easer that removing a valve cover.
states that one rocker arm isn't raising as far as others, i didn't catch anything about a push rod loose as would be indicated by a flat lobe on the cam or out of adjusted valve. then we here some jiberish about how he turbo'd a 1.2 and it would kick his truck arse, it would even do 100 in second. sorry for rambling on, where's the bridge?

Yes I did get plenty of answers. They have helped me a lot and this is how I have come to the conclusion that its the cam. No one seems to dispute this either. They all seem to want to come to my rescue and rebuild it for me. My comments about my old Hondas were merely entertaining and if you think about it ironic that I owned it in the first place. It was a little light hearted fun that if nothing else it should be embarrassing to me LOL however show that I have a keen and long interest in cars.

Actually the bridge is the Tribourough bridge in Queens looking to the upper east side of Manhattan. I think its a little easier to remove a rocker cover than to take an oil pan off in a very dusty underground car park that is 3 story's under the ground and on a 20 deg slope and have no real way to jack up the truck. I am also dealing with warranty issues and need to leave it as it is so the builder can see exactly what went wrong as per his request. For the others that think I don't do any of my own work on this truck you are very much mistaken. I have with the exception of things that should be done by a professional, all of the work on this truck. I have replaced with the help of my excellent mechanic in SF Mobill restorations on Howard St all of the components that I have restored my self. And yes it is very satisfying. However I get others to do work on it also as I

1 Do not have a House with backyard and garage.
2 Am not a mechanic.
3 Dont always have time to do it and get it done
4 Dont know enough to do it myself
5 Have paid someone else with more years doing this than I have been alive to do it and would rather have them repair an issue that is or may be beyond my control.

The weekend is Upon us and ill have loads of time to have a tinker. I do not intend to take this oil out as it may very much be the entire source of the problem and would make it harder to diagnose on the other end.

Think about it, You can ramble all you want but as the motor is non functional and its not going to repair its self. Its going to be repaired by the builder.

I have told everyone what I found. The rocker has a lot of play in it the push rod is loose and it would make a really good indication as the stud does not seem to have moved that with the oil that is in it the cam has failed. The movement of the rod is also not as far as the other rods on that side of the engine. I very much doubt that the rocker simply unbolted its self so at the risk of repeating my self we believe its the cam.

I am not going to pull this truck to pieces just for the satisfaction of some of the people who posted on here. Ill leave that to the man who built it. I think that's the sensible thing to do.
Case closed. You will find out what I do when its stripped down.

Sorry just wanted to ad that the rocker is not just loose it wobbles about like a rattle. The push rod when flat leaves about an 8th of an inch of play. As for the oil being burnt. I assume that this will also be repaired with the fresh rebuild.

Fingers crossed I that my beast back soon and move on in a forward direction, Pardon the pun

Last edited by gavotter333; 01-23-2009 at 05:51 PM.
gavotter333 is offline   Reply With Quote