View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #119
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavotter333 View Post
\

I have herd this from a few people. Can you tell a little more about the engine and what happened at the time it failed. How you determined this and how long it took to grind down to nothing after it failed. I think there are others that might read this and this could be really helpful. Did they warrant the cam. It reads like they do on there documentation, Not that they are that expensive when it comes to the rest of the engine.
The valve train was noisier than any flat tappet hydraulic i had heard before and i ask about it and was told these cams have "very aggresive profiles" and that was the "nature of the cam grind" . On 3 different occasions the noise was past acceptable . At that point i removed the valve covers and did a hot adjust with the motor running and the noise would quit down . The heads had screw in studs , so it wasn't pull out . I think it was cylinders 4 & 6 . It did it a 4 th time and it was obvious that these rockers were not moving near as much as the others . At that point i tore down and pulled the cam and replaced it . I aslo dropped the pan and cleaned it out ( one side of the rear main seal was backwards and it leaked from startup) . I broke the new cam in and the problem was solved . This was a 355 , forged piston , vortec heads , 2 bolt with headers , 750 edelbrock , HEI , aluminum intake . Pretty hot little motor . My machinist warrantied the cam ( purchased complete cam kit through him and he installed it ) and provided all the gaskets ( accidental seal problem ) and gave me machine work credit for my labor . Of coarse im pretty handy with a wrench and have a place to work on this type of thing out of the weather . To this day every cam i have bought after has still been from Comp Cams . It is and was the only cam i ever had fail . It just happens . I had Chevron delo desiel oil with EOS and changed after 30 minutes with new valvoline racing grade with more EOS . I primed the motor 30 minutes before starting it and think i washed the assembly lube off the cam . I have never primed another and nevr had another problem . Just my .02 . Sorry for the long post .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583

Last edited by hotrod 80; 01-24-2009 at 05:53 PM.
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote