View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #119
BIG HEAD

Re: 72' Stepside 2 1/2 Rockwell Pond Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
It is definitely taking shape very nice. No doubt about it! One question for you. On your stub shaft for your 205, I see that the case is quite a bit lower than the trans. Do you think the u-joints will wear fast like this? I can't tell in your pic, but is your output yoke a bolt on style or a slip style on the TH400's out put shaft? I am going to put a divorced 205 in a 84 K20 with a cummins in it. It is only a standard cab long box and I am having problems finding a short slip joint drive shaft I can cut down to keep driveshaft angles kosher. The truck has a 6" lift and 36's. The trans is a ZF5 speed and has a bolt on yoke on the out put shaft. Any suggestions? Thanks Ryan.
Ryan I see you study things like me. It is a slip yoke and there is angle on the u-joints. Nothing binds. The needle bearings in a joint do not spin unless there is angle on the joint. And they half to spin in order to get any life out of them. The case is a NP200 or called M37 after the milatery truck they are commonly found in. If you put a floater in just dont put the mid shaft straight in line for reasons already stated. I would not put a floater (unless thats just what I have) in a truck with six inches of lift. The reason why we use a floater is to set back and/or clock the case to cut down on drive shaft angle. If the truck started life as a 2wd and you convert it. Yes a floater would make that easier.