View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
Joe67
67 is sold

Re: 99+up common problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Ok let's list them---
1- Steering column vibration mostly noticed going slow --off road or in parking ---the column intermediate shaft is fluted with grease taking up the shock---it gets squeezed out. There is a factory bulletin to either repack or to "stroke!" the unit---what a BS fix this is but it works for a while.
2- Windshield noise pass side---from a bug shield changing the air flow!! Tape, caulk windshield to molding or take of the bug shield.
3- Premature front brake wear---factory bulletin for "northern states!!" ie the antilock sensor looses it's ground path due to salt-rust getting under it's mount to the spindal housing. factory bulletin recall---get them to replace the pads if you can.
4- Brake drag noise from the drivers side rear---the parking brake "horse shoe" unit is dragging on the drum and wearing out. Factory bulletin replaces the spring holder and possibly the horse shoe assembly but only on manual shift trucks!!!! how is that for another BS fix from GM?
OK guys, add some more as these trucks are full of BS GM issues~~~~
5-
1) is not a common problem
2) is not a problem, this is caused by aftermarket parts.
3) The problem is not premature brake wear, the problem is the faulty ABS sensor. My OEM brakes lasted over 60K miles.
4) this is not a common issue

4x4 dash switch, Ext Cab doors and fuel sending unit failure were a problem on 1999-2000 trucks, was resolved after that.

Rear end gears did wipe out prematurely (60K or so). this was also resolved on later models.

Pistion slap/cold start knock has NEVER shown to produce damage, there are many 200K mile plus 1999+ vortec trucks out there without issues.

The rest of these sound like basic problems, not rampant throughout the trucks sold and on the road

My 2000 5.3l GMC has 198K on the clock and is damn near flawless

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote