View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: Saturday pics (4-11) Drop FAQs...(AKA making it WORTHLESS!)

I took a few still shots of the front install but since I had so many vids I just used them instead. So many of the things we did are more effective if you can see them in action instead of a "still" shot. The back half of this job ended up having more stills then vids.....Let's Get on it DOGGONE it!

We took the bed off for the back...No, you don't have to, but this one is getting a C-notch as well. (Not to mention Brian likes using his new toy). A big shout out goes to Kevin at LFD (Rokrln) for his bed/lift plans! It works flawlessly, as it was designed to!

"Do I need a C-notch with X amount of drop?" That's a good question...I guess it depends on how you plan on using your truck. Based on my personal past experience. My truck with 6" ECE springs WILL bottom out from time to time. I drive it like I stole it and do some light hauling. There are guys on this forum with the exact same drop that claim to have never bottomed out. I'm not disputing them, I just know that I have had issues.

The first thing we did once the bed was removed was to torch the factory rivets for the upper shock mounts and the bumpstops.

Then we removed the rear coils so that we could jack up the rearend to get an accurate mark for our notch.

We soon realized that the carrier bearing mount would contact the one piece driveshaft before the rearend touched the frame....So it was torched as well.

The general rule that I've read is to not take out more then half the height of the frame when doing a notch...Here's our VERY rough and quick mockup. For our homemade notch we used some 4" square tubing that we cut one side off of and then flared two sides of out to get the shape that we wanted.

Lil brother is a master of the cut off wheel! Note that there are jackstands under the frame behind the notch as well as jackstands under the frame forward of the notch (not visible in the shot).

Not to shabby so far...

Had a portaband failure while we were building the notch...

I took that as an opportunity for a flop eared Peep break!

Stay tuned! We're not done yet!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote