View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #42
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Alright, a long overdue update.

Been working on the front clip, including the inner fender, frame rail, etc. But, for me to do the frame rail, I have to fab my bumper brackets, since I have to weld nuts on the inside of the frame rail for the bracket bolts...etc.

So, I cut the bad part of the bracket off. after bracing it with a piece of old brake line to make sure it held it's shape.

So, I traced it onto a piece of 1/8th inch steel, and cut it out. I think made it into a C-channel type piece, by welding lengths of steel on the edges, like stock.

Then I lined it up with the side brace, and welded it back on.

So, since that is done, and just needing a little finish grinding and some black paint or POR 15, now I can get going on the frame rail.

I also got the inner fender patch fabbed up. After cutting out the old rusty piece, and flattening it, I traced it onto some sheet metal. Which happened to be the old hood from my truck that I replaced after it met a tree.

Cut it out, trimmed it up, drilled the holes that are sposed to be there and put the stock strengthening ribs into it with a form and a chunk of iron stock.

Then bent the right angle lip on it, and voila.

It's not perfect, but for maybe an hour or so working on the patch, and experimenting with making the ridges, I'm pretty pleased with it. Now I just have to burn it in, and keep going on front end.

So, that's where it stands. I'll keep going as I have time, but with the end of the semester coming up, I have to get my behind in gear and get going on homework. But, soon, I'll be done for another summer, and can really start cranking on the old girl.

So, that's where she stands now.

Let's hear it!

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote