View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #184
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontotx View Post
I did not install a surge tank or lift pump and both my tanks are selectable and functioning like yours. While I am happy with my set-up, perhaps you could elaborate to me and others on why you felt these were required?

Again, thanks to all for this great thread.

Mark
Hi Mark

I went a surge tank setup after reading conversion problems experienced by folks with non EFI tanks. Since our trucks are equipped with long saddle tanks fuel sloshing under low fuel levels can result in fuel sock aeration. When this happen fuel pump may experience instantaneous fuel cavitation resulting in fuel pressure loss and possibly inlet vapor lock. In other words - not good. Jeep guys face this problem all the time, but they have it easy by retrofitting to EFI tanks which incorporate fuel baffles to keep fuel sock covered under extreme angles. Alternatively, a small surge tank with low pressure lift pump is a workable solution. Noted, that this is not cheap nor is it simple to implement. There are couple advantages to surge tank system one being use of low pressure lift pump which can be conveniently mounted which can not be done with high pressure EFI pumps. Typically, low pressure lift pumps are self priming, so that if fuel sock aeration does take place pump re-primes itself while EFI pump keeps on delivering un-interrupted fuel flow to injectors. Low pressure pump fuel delivery can take awhile depending on fuel sloshing which plays into surge tank sizing - mine is about quart.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote