View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #217
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Hello All,

Sorry it has been soooo long. I have been realy busy with work.

I did have some time to go to the local yards and find a 25 gallon gas tank for my TBI swap. I also found some of the relays off a Caddy that RF was talking about.

I had a question about the relays RF:

How do I know what wire of the bottom correlates to the number on the top.

EX: relay #85 is the 12 gauge solid red wire, or the 12 gauge purple and black wire?

I am using the relay for a 4 wire O2 sensor.

I beleive I read in the post that you used and adapter plate to mate a TBI to an older manifold. This could save me a lot of time and work. Did you like the adapter plate, or would you modify the stock manifold to fit the older heads?

Thanks again for all you help guys and good to see new posts.
Hey Pancake - welcome back.

On JY relays you'll have to get very friendly with a DVM, but most BOSCH style SPDT relays follow the numbering sequence:
PIN 85 Coil (usually negative or ground connection)
PIN 86 Coil (usually positive connection)
PIN 30 Common pin
PIN 87 Normally Open (NO)
PIN 87A Normally Closed (NC)

With a socket it is a bit of work, but coil wires almost always use smaller gauge wires - e.g. 16 AWG pink/black for +12 source and any color for a control switched circuit. For power relay contact look for large gauge wire - for example 10AWG red or orange color wire.
You can (blindly) determine which wires lead to relay coil pins with a DVM - any pair of wires that you can measure 70-100 Ohms is your coil circuit wires.

To verify relay contacts you can always power up relay with a 12V source while having DVM measuring the three power wires. But first you can find NC pair, then power up relay. It is basic electricity checking - sorry if I went to basic I just do not know what your comfort level is.

On a manifold Q
I went to a TBI specific manifold, but you can use adapter plate. I am currently looking to build 383 with Vortec (L31) heads using early 70's block I got from my colleague. I am looking into using Weind 8121 with 4150 adapter plate for TBI. I am guessing that you have ubiquitous Q-Jet intake - Transadapt makes a series of adapter for Q-Jet intakes. Look for a rear #2206 mounted plate as this will move TB bores over the larger secondaries and keep throttle cable length close to stock. You still may have to experiment with rear cable bracket - I had to that because of 1" spacer I used.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote