View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
americanmusc1e

Re: And so it begins................

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim21391 View Post
if your wondering how rustoleum does on plastic its great so far... on my daily driver my eclipse.. i got to close to the gas tank cover lid with the power washer and it chipped the coating.. so i went and got 320 paper and smoothed it out..wax and grease removed it to prep it.. then shot it with 2 coats of rustoleum black paint from walmart with clear... i did that in the winter.. it had snow/ice and road grime and sunlight and everything on it and it looks good still.. and oh i feel your pain on the fuel pump... i had to find the hard way that mine went out.. filled up couple summers ago when gas was over 3 bucks.. had a full tank.. the next morning it was in my driveway... haha
I sprayed my whole truck with rusoleum safety red and gloss white (professional series) and it worked great. two years later the paint is starting to fade a little, but I could polish and wax it and it'll come back. I don't bother though, we painted the truck without a spray booth and its got some bad spots in it, Plus all the bondo is starting to show through.

Bottom Line: If the surface is prepped properly and sprayed in a paint booth(with a $50 paint gun from wal-mart), It'll look great!!!! for a total investment of about $100. If you don't belive me, HOT ROD painted a car with a roller and rustoleum paint, and it looked pretty good.

we didn't clear-coat mine, and it looked like a factory original 67-72 paint job.

If anybody is crazy enough to try it. P.M. me and I'll give you a few tips about spraying it.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote