Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
Fender looking good.........Happy Happy Happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
You should be. Nice job Allan.
Thanks fellers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
man that fender looks slick. pun intended. You might be able to dukes of hazzard it when your done!
Thumbs up. I can't use the smileys because I'm only allowed 10 per post.. I also have to delete some of the ones already posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Alan, its been awhile since I did that, but since it is new, I would just wipe the panel down with a good wax and grease remover, let that dry and scuff with a red scotch brite pad, wipe down again and let dry then shoot 2 coats of DP90. After that, top coat as you prefer.

You want to scuff the surface of the galvanized to create a profile for the paint (DP90) to adhere properly. You do not want to remove all of the zinc coating, just as little as needed to get a good scuff so that the paint sticks.

Looking good as usual!!!!!
Thanks for the info and comment. I figured there was some speacial process to go thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
I'm sure you know...be very careful welding galvanized metal....the fumes are deadly.
Yes sir you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964C10 View Post
I might be chiming in late or irrelavant but I have read that you shouldnt paint over galvanized steel because the zinc coating forms an oxide which protects the steel and will continue to do so even under painted surfaces. I could be way off base here though :p
Don't know if you off base or not, but haven't heard of that. I've read that the oils need to be removed and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I had a guy weld a hay rack on top of my horse trailer. It was gal. he passed out and rolled off the top. I think he's still alive though.
LOL

Quote:
Nope. Right in the dirt. Started doing the fish out of water thing. I got kinda scaried. Thought I was going to have to do mouth to mouth or somthing. He would have died if that was the case.
Quote:
should have thrown him in the pond.

Alan get home from work and get to work on the trucks. we need more motovation pics!
Man, don't any of ya'll work. Or is it your jobs to jack threads while noone is lookin'

Quote:
I can't believe Allan has a real job and still gets twice( ten times) as much done on his truck as I do. I guess I better go throw on some filler and sand for awhile.
Yeah, go do something productive. LOL

Quote:
He's going to be pissed when he see's we jacked up his thread.+2 just wasting time
Nope, not pissed. I needed a good laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
I think he's hanging out at the pool.........Probably get some good pic's then
I wish. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Lookin good. Wished Alan lived near me to do my body work too..
thumbs up

Quote:
Maybe we should get him to sell his house and buy a travel trailer, a mobile welding and paint shop. Then he could just travel the country and fix trucks. That would be my dream job!
Yeah, I mentioned that in my build somewhere. If I was single I think I would consider something like that.

No motivational pics
But have an update...........After I DP90 the inner bed panels and looked at them, the more I realized it would be cheaper to just get new ones. I didn't want 198 to worry about it so I called him up to tell him what I was thinking. I decided to give him his money back (credit towards labor) on the bed since the labor to repair would outweigh the cost of new panels. He agreed and was very pleased with my decision. He said not many people would have done that. It's not all about the money. It's about the love we have for old cars and making the other person feel like they got treated right. Yeah it hurts a little, but when it is all said and done it will work out. Just goes to show you, you never know what your going to get your self into with these old trucks. This bed looked pretty good to me before this whole process started. Once you get them shinny again everything is evident.

He called me a little while ago to let me know he had found a fleet bed that had been blasted and primed and is pretty solid. Lets see what round 2 brings us. So needless to say the SWB step side bed is for sale again. It can be fixed and if I wanted a step bed I would straighten it and use it since it would only cost me some time and some materials.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote