View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #144
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Re: 198Plus build by Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
No motivational pics
But have an update...........After I DP90 the inner bed panels and looked at them, the more I realized it would be cheaper to just get new ones. I didn't want 198 to worry about it so I called him up to tell him what I was thinking. I decided to give him his money back (credit towards labor) on the bed since the labor to repair would outweigh the cost of new panels. He agreed and was very pleased with my decision. He said not many people would have done that. It's not all about the money. It's about the love we have for old cars and making the other person feel like they got treated right. Yeah it hurts a little, but when it is all said and done it will work out. Just goes to show you, you never know what your going to get your self into with these old trucks. This bed looked pretty good to me before this whole process started. Once you get them shinny again everything is evident.

He called me a little while ago to let me know he had found a fleet bed that had been blasted and primed and is pretty solid. Lets see what round 2 brings us. So needless to say the SWB step side bed is for sale again. It can be fixed and if I wanted a step bed I would straighten it and use it since it would only cost me some time and some materials.
Allan your a good guy. I think you did the right thing. It's hard to judge how long something will take. There's no guide for flat rate times for restoration, or fabrication. When you look at the bed he brings you. Just say this time once you start it there's no refund on labor no matter what you find. Remember when you give a price for repair say it's an estimate, and could cost more depending what you find. The last truck fenders I straightened I charged a little more than half of what it would cost for a new one. But if it's not available, then I charge a lot more. With your attitude you will have repeat customers, and they will recommend you for future jobs. I try not to take advantage of people and be honest with them. It pays off in the end. But some times the customer takes advantage of YOU.

What do you charge per hour? I'm only at $40. But most of the time I don't charge by the hour. How can you justify spending 20 hours fabricating special motor mounts, transmission mounts for a car that nobody has anything for. I lost track how many times I had the engine in and out.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!