View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #136
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontotx View Post
Sorry, RF, but I respectfully disagree. Again, I'm no expert (I'm worse - I'm an engineer), but my understanding is that one side of each injector always has the 12V+ and the ground is switched/pulsed to the other terminal/side of the connectors by the ECM. Thus, testing for voltage across both injector connector terminals as you suggested will not show 12V (I just checked my truck and confirmed the lack of 12V across the injector connector terminals when in RUN).

With the key in RUN position, you should be able to measure 12V from the red wire on one connector (or the white wire on the other connector) to an engine or chassis ground, but not to the other connector terminal.
That's what I said. Kindly re-read my post (engine is not turning).

Furthermore, measuring voltage drop across 1.1 Ohm injector with a common DVM is fruitless. However, with a dual trace O-scope and A-B function one can measure voltage drop across operating injector. But that's not an issue here. In TBI system (same technique is used in many other injector systems as well) one pin of injector is tied +12 volt bus, while the second pin is being tied to a switching circuit inside ECM. Typically this switch circuit consists of high power Bipolar or FET transistor. In case of 1227747 ECM GM used a high power NPN transistor with collector tied to floating injector pin, while emitter is shunted to ground with 0.1 Ohm resistor. A custom (Delco) injector transistor driver IC is used to current limit current drawn by injector - by monitoring voltage drop across 0.1 Ohm shunt.

Quote:
In regard to pouring gas into the TB, he said it would start in post #186.
Missed that one, sorry.

Quote:
cjracing: The relationship between the ignition module in the dizzy and the injectors is that the module tells the ECM that the engine is spinning (and at what RPM). The ECM needs to check that the engine is spinning because it is a potentially very dangerous situation if the ECM allows the injectors to fire (i.e.,release fuel into the TB) when the key is in the RUN or START positions and the engine isn't spinning. Since FB72 said his engine would start when he poured gas into the TB, the ignition module is working fine and it is my belief that his problem is (1) an ECM problem, (2) an open in the wiring between the ECM and the injector connector, or (3) a stuck/defective injector.

Since the injectors are basically solenoids, I reiterate my earlier suggestion to apply a ground to the non-12V+ terminal of the connector to see if the injector will fire. With a confirmed 12V+ on one injector terminal and a ground to the engine or chassis on the other, the solenoid/injector should click and allow fuel to flow. If fuel doesn't flow, either (1) the injector is stuck or defective or (2) there is no fuel pressure in the injector pod. If fuel does flow, then the problem is upstream of the injector connector in the ECM or wiring. While I've never tried this test, I don't see why it wouldn't work, nor do I think it risks harming anything.

That is my $0.02 and please understand that I am not trying to offend anyone or debate their advice - I'm simply trying to help.

Mark
OK = 2 cents accepted (in this economy)
//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)