View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
darcane

Re: 4.8 V8 with a Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts71281 View Post
I have an 04 reg cab short box 2wd 4.8l 5 speed truck. I had to drive from Minneapolis to Oklahoma to get mine (bought it new in oct of 04) I've stored it every winter and last summer swapped in a cammed and headed 6L with long tube headers. It lays down so so power but is fun to drive with the 5 speed in a relatively light weight truck.

Let me know if you guys have any Silverado questions. I know these trucks inside and out. (literally)
Beautiful truck! I'd be happy with a reg cab if I didn't have kids. However, I need the extra space of an extended cab.

The main question I had was the tow rating. The GM Media Website is a fantastic resource with all kinds of data on their vehicles made in the last decade or so. It shows a maximum tow rating of 7300 for a 2001 2wd, ext cab truck with a 4.8 but doesn't specify tranny and states that it will vary with equipment. I presume that the manual tranny won't reduce the tow rating below 4000 or so which is probably the heaviest trailer I'd ever tow, so I should be fine.

The only other question is... where do I find one? I've found one more in my searches and it's 2800 miles away. If I have to go more than 1000 miles to get one, I'll probably bite the bullet and deal with an auto.