View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
ts71281

Re: 4.8 V8 with a Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
the reason you can't find a 1/2 ton with a 5.3L and 5spd is because the torque rating of the 5spd's GM used is less than what the 5.3L puts out. The various versions of this tranny (going back to '88) are not rated for anything over 300lb-ft. Dodge used a version of this transmission too (NV3500). Not to say they will break right off the bat with anything over that (many factors to consider there, traction being a big one), but it doesn't look like GM was willing to risk it with the 5.3. As stated earlier, it's a light duty truck transmission, not a heavy duty/towing oriented trans.

A buddy of mine tried to order a 2002 sbrc truck with a 5.3/5spd/3.73 gear and was told by the dealership that combo was not offered at all. He ended up getting a 5.3/auto/3.73 instead of getting the smaller 4.8/5spd. I would love to have a 5sp in my '05, but sometimes it's kinda nice not rowing gears in traffic. I do all my shifting in my '69!

You are right, they rate the trans to only 300 ft lbs, however with my previous cam in my truck I was getting away with 400 RWTQ on the stock trans and clutch and have had zero issues. clutch remains strong and the trans still shifts nice with no funny noises. I will tell you I NEVER tow. The truck is a street queen. My truck box is as flawless as the outside if that tells you anything about how the truck is used. I bought my truck with the 4.8L and 5 speed knowing someday I wanted to swap in a 6L or a 408 stroker. At least the trans/clutch pedal/wiring was all there and appropriate.
ts71281 is offline   Reply With Quote