View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #87
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Ahhh. One of those. Haha. I love conversations like that.

And yes, 194's usually had a small cc head, somewhere around 64, I beleive, whereas 230/250/292 had around a 72 or 76 cc head.

The more I think about it, the more a 292 sounds better. Instant size gain. 4.125 inch stroke. With LPG pistons and shaved head I should be at around 10:1 compression, otherwise I can try to use 366 BBC pistons, with the connecting rod drilled out for the larger wrist pin, and the top of the piston shaved off, but thats up in the air.

Then a set of lumps, which aren't all that expensive, but getting bigger valves put in will run me quite some money. Jumping from 1.72 to 1.94 intake valves, will help the beast breath whichever size it is, along with lightening my wallet.

Since I already have an Offenahuser 3x1 intake, and a set of headers that I'll cut down for ground clearance, since they were for a truck, that just leaves a cam, which is around $160, along with machine work.

As far as installing the 292, the passenger side motor mount is different than the 194/230/250, so I'd have to run an electric fuel pump, along with extending the motor mount forward. Then there comes the hood clearance issues when an air cleaner is involved, so I'd just fabricate a drop down style air cleaner, or use a snorkel.

And aside from that, I don't think theres anything else as far as modifications to install the motor.

And as far as progress goes, none made today on the car. We poured a slab for an addition to the garage, so we can box off one stall plus this addition for a heated shop in the winter. I can't tell you how much it sucks to hang onto wrenches when it's 15 below...because it always seems something breaks just as the temperature drops.

So, lost a weekend of productivity, but gained alot in the long run in my opinion.

I'll try to get some more done soon, I promise...

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote