View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #50
rfmaster

Re: 5.7 TBI in an 86????? Anyone done this swap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I really like what you did with your fuel system! That is really nice! I could fab up a tank like that. I'm not sure we need to worry about the fuel supply since this will be a road only 2wd truck. I totally understand why you did yours like that. As far as the lines I am using, I am really thinking about using the original car fuel lines since they are the correct size and they have the correct fittings and have an inline filter setup already. I just have to make fittings to adapt to the truck lines or use the quick connect fittings from the tank.

On the power,
I have thought about the relay setup. I want to build a setup like that and I'm sure with your diagram I can. Right now I'm wanting to get past the mess that I have of the harness. It really looks like a rat got under the hood. I need to have the best reliability possible (it will be driven by a kid). This project when done will move us toward finishing the 69 project we started. I would really like to install a 5.3 or 6.0 in it with matching late model tranny.
thanks for all the help!
Mike
Mike

Since you have car fuel lines available I would use them. Just be aware that any bends must be done with a tube bender to avoid collapsing (or worst restricting ) fuel lines.

Tip on EFI harness routing.

Just layout wiring in the engine compartment the best way you can and route all plugs to their respective locations. Take pictures and them play around on a kitchen table with a pencil hand sketch. This way you'll have a good idea how to route wire harness. Wire harness requires protection - hence invest in some 1/4, 3/8" and 1/2" split looms. For individual branches (single connector) I used 1/4" loom which can safely handle 1- 4 wires. When you have to use high temperature automotive grade electrical tape. DO NOT use commonly available hardware store electrical tape as it is not temperature rated for under hood operation. Professional electrical supply houses have this tape - it is a bit more, but it does not leave a black stinky mess. I had decent results using Scotch Supper 33+ electrical tape from 3M. It is rated for 105C (220F) continuous operation and resistant to oil, water and chemicals.

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote