Thread: Security
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
vectorit
What?

Re: Security

When I lived in a crapy hood in an apartment complex, my tricked out 4x4 Toyota was broken into numerous times. Everytime they tried to take it, they could not start it. I had a cleverly hidden kill switch.
The last time they tried, they ripped the ignition cylinder out of the column and jammed screw driver in it to turn the motor. They did this after pushing it down the street, and into an alley where they wore out the battery trying to start it. After that I would just leave the doors unlocked, so that they wouldn't keep ruining the locks or glass.

Kill switches work for the average crack head car thief, but if they have the skills and means to get a tow truck. Then you are screwed... Best bet then is to have a lo jack or some other locator installed, then hope that you notice it gone soon enough to get it before it crosses the border or is stripped.

My burb on the other hand has a kill switch for those homie depot stops, but if it's parked for any length of time I take the coil wire off and take it inside with me. But then I don't tend to leave my burb un attended for long periods in public places just because it's so easy to steal.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote