Thread: 355 ?'s
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
wheatlandbrawler

Re: 355 ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
What do you guys think of the Summit branded intakes? And what size carb should I be looking for? I live around 4800-5000 ft. I have no real idea of how the motor is built. But I know that it is fairly mild.
generally speaking unless your trying to really squeeze horsepower an intake is a intake, is this thing your average daily driver/ weekend warrior on the streets? or is it going to see track time? dose the cam card come with the engine? the point in wich a large portion of D.I.Y. engine builders have problems is the intake head cam matching selection, you want them to come "in" at the same or closest to the same rpm and quit making power at the same rpm. for instance your came may be rated to start making hp at 2,200rpm and stop making power at 5,800 or what ever the case may be, with that you will want your intake so come in and go out at the same numbers.

the carb depends on what you are doing with the vehicle, just a daily driver i would recomend a 600 vacuum secondary. maybe a 650 if you plan on doing a little towing. and wouldnt venture to far from the 650 even if your hot rodding it.

the easiest thing to remember for me is this, a engine is a big vacuum pump, the more air you can get in and the faster you can get it out the better it will perform, if you have one part needing air at a different point the engine will struggle to get the air out in wich case you will not be able to make a steady range of power.

hope this helps.