View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #38
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Engine Starves for Fuel When I Hit Second Gear

Let's go back to plugs for just a second. I looked up the heads. First they only list them with a 2.02 intake, not 2.08's but no matter. Everything I found says you need a 14mm gasketed plug w/ 0.72 to .75" reach.

The heads flow in the 230 range at 0.5" lift, with the cam let's assume your in the 375 to 400HP range. and have somewhere between 9.0 and 10.0 compression. (lot of assumetions but what else can we do)

You need a middle of the road heat range here. I'd HIGHLY suggest you use a Champion RC12YC plug (that's stock #71 for the parts counter jocky) or equavelent.

If Autolite is your favorite flavor,,, it's an 3923, or if you can find them the AC Delco FR3LS woulkd be the best plug IMPO, but it's all dependant on compression.

Too hot of a plug, or the wrong reach will cause symptoms exactly as you describe. I have seen too hot of a plug cause the motor to nose over and die at the top of 1st gear... just as using a short taper seat plug in a head calling for a 3/4" reach will not 'light the fires' when cylinder pressures come up (under WFO throttle) . I'd check those plugs for heat range and reach before you go any further.

If plugs are in order for the motor... THEN get back to why your registering such low pressure and what's wrong with the carb.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote