View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
63whoopie

Re: Frame swap? Just crossmember? How about that transmission?

markeb01-
First off, let me say I have seen the recent pictures of your truck after paint, and it is one sharp vehicle. Also, if that engine runs half as good as it looks, you are having a lot of fun, I bet. Kudos.

I am sorry for not making myself clear; I posted about my truck in the welcome area, and forgot to do it again on that long post above. I have a 1963 c10 shortbed stepside with a later 250 I6 and the 3-on-the-tree non- O.D. (Saganaw?) My mother bought it for me when I turned 15 with the intentions I would work on it and restore it, but time and family situation has not allowed. I now do really want to get going on it, and have a little more skill than I did then (I pulled the transmission out last month thinking I was going to put a new clutch in it and try to sell it, but have been bitten by "the bug" and want to keep her and make her mine).
I have asked a few additional sources and come to the conclusion that I will definitely not be doing a body to new frame swap any time soon; too much work and fabrication + no skill= really bad idea.
As far as the T5 goes, all of the electronic to mechanical converters I found were in the neighborhood of $300+. I was hoping to keep my stock speedo, and I can live with not having it hooked up (it hasn't been as long as I have had it, so it's nothing new).
So, there's a 1977 c10 LWB frame on craigslist for $50 about an hour from my house.... front crossmember, discs, steering, etc sounds appealing and cheep, my two priorities. I might call in the morning.

padresag-
I may be using the wrong term, but when I pulled the transmission, there was a support which ran under the transmission and supported it, as well as the rubber transmission mount block thing; without the transmission in place, the engine has no rear support, so I have a ratchet strap holding it up It was held to the bottom of the frame by 4 bolts, and had 1 or 2 bolts that ran up into the tranny, I think?
63whoopie is offline   Reply With Quote