View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #77
es67chevy

Re: aluminum radiator with fans

I'm still not quite there yet, but I did take some mock up photos. We decided to make a custom top mount instead of using the stock mounts (stock mounts in picture to show fitment) and we completely removed the bottom mounts from the radiator core support. The rubber retainers surprisingly work well down in the bottom radiator shelf area without the metal retainers and they hold the radiator perfectly. The top mounts are perfect...if you don't have to put the rubber in them. With the rubber, they are too narrow. Hence the reason some have been modifying their retainers to widen them to fit this radiator. We elected to go the custom route since we wanted something to cover the wires, space, etc that is between the top of the radiator and the top of the core support. I'll update this thread once we get that built to show you what we did. Will be a bit yet. We have a paint date of 11/09/09 and then it will be somewhere around 1 month before we get it back.

We had to add a little notch in the center of the radiator support frame at the bottom to allow the radiator to sit this far down in the tray. There is a screw that holds the fans on at the bottom that was coming in contact with the core support at the bottom. But it was an easy fix. You can see that notch the best in the third pic.

More pics in next reply....

1967 C10 SWB
383 Stroker/TH400
Brother's One Piece Power Windows
Shaved Doors, Markers, and Bumpers
4/6 Early Classic Drop
Rear Fuel Tank (49-52 Chevy Car Tank)
Surf Blue Paint

Bella Vista, AR (Arkansas for those that get the 'A' states mixed up)

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330869
es67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote