View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: GMC rare "CONTENDER" trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Who exactly is Gentleman Jim and what does he have to do with trucks?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman_Jim

Beu James was a wrestler. Contenders.
Uhhh, "Jim" was a take on the Jimmy nickname that GMC had been called for years. Seems like Rockford Files was on the tube at the time that the Gentleman Jim package came out. The Beau James edition was blue/white, as I recall. I have a friend who was in the "house note" car business and he bought a repo'd '76 Black/Gold Silverado Chevy LWB in '78, for $900. He recently sold it for $1000, but it wasn't anything you'd want. It was still running, but had been repainted in black and the gold part was Fords' Colonial White. The interior was still the original, but worn out....buckskin colored vinyl bench seat. Not the buckets that were in the one above. Come to think of it, it was a Chevy, not a GMC but it was colored just like the Gentleman Jim above. So, what did Chevy call their version? I remember the Spirit of '76 White trucks with blue/red interior as well as the Big 10 and Heavy Half trucks.

As for the Contender package I remember seeing some Chevy/GMC's with the green and gold/yellow paint combo but didn't see anything with a Contender decal.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote