View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Wink Started Another Gauge Restoration - Speedwarning - Ongoing

had some extra time this weekend to start another gauge resto project. this cluster was in decent shape, but needed a facelift. you may remember, I had a speed warning speedo that needed a bit of rebuilding. got it back together and is better than new. getting this one ready to sale once complete. very happy with the progress to this point. got a new bezel and a new lens in the box ready to go. this cluster originally came with a 67-68 bezel, but I'm going with a non-choke 69-72 unit; even though '69 would have been the last year for the s.w.

to this point:

media blasted all 5 tins. ammeter/temp tin, oil pressure(vacuum/air) tin, rear tin, fuel gauge tin, and inner tin. most of the time, these tins will have rust SOMEWHERE!

tins paint: Valspar spray cans from Lowes for the tins.
-leaf green in satin for the reflective inner tins
-flat white for the inner ammeter/temp/oil pressure tin
-satin black for the inner tin face
-and a little trick here, the rear outer tin is usually a gray or a natural metal color. after media blast, apply 3 even coats of Valspar flat clear. it looks exactly like the factory finish.

gauge paint: Plastikote "orange glow" (in small spray can from Wal Mart)duplicates the needle color almost exactly. a great way to liven up those sunfaded gauges!

anyway, I'll update this thread when I get more accomplished. just thought you all would like to have some info on paints and processes of restoring these great old gauges....... and restoring a cluster is not that difficult!! buy a cheap set of standard gauges for $20 and see what you can do!!! nothing like looking through that steering wheel to fresh gauges.

a pic of the front of the rear tin with gauges and light tubes in place:

a pic of the rear of the rear tin. note the hole for the speedwarning control cable and the grounding stud:

to be continued.......

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote