View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Lightbulb Re: Dish Pistons + 64cc head = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I don't think your going to need to worry about too LOW.

If those pistons are a 22cc dish, and you have a stock 0.025" deck, the 64cc heads will net 9.3:1

Deck the block to 9.000 and you have 9.8:1

If those are a 11cc "D" dish as is typical in most aftermarket 400 pistons, you start at 10.3:1,, deck the block and it's up to 11:1, cut 0.020" off the heads to 'clean them up' and your up to 11.3,,, it get's out of hand REAL quick with the big bore.

Here's an example. The sbc in my Nova I run a 12cc dish custom JE piston. Had to to get compression DOWN to 13.2:1 (4" stroke, 4.165" bore, zero decked, 53cc chamber)

Don't depend on any 'advertised' or assumption. Get EVERY component measured so you know EXACTLY what your dealing with
So if I get one of those Turkey Basker that have the CC on the suckion markers on the clear plastic I could get an idea of how much CCs the pistons are correct?

From what I have been reading, I would need a camshaft that has higher than stock compression ratio to make the cam and timing work correctly.

Will be tearing down the engine this weekend and hoping it has not been rebuilt so the bore can be machined to .30 (4.155 for the pistons I have).

Great info so far guys! Keep em coming.