View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: My "New" '76 2wd TOY...currently un-named

Flip kits for these factory 2wd blazers (73-82) makes them set really low and look great. But they are different than putting a flip kit on a pickup. The c-notch is a must! Then the other issue is the center section of the rearend is really close to the floor.

I have owned a '79 2wd and an '82 2wd blazer.
The '79 had longer rear shackles and some pulled leafs out of the spring pack. Some creative fuel fill routing is necesssary to clear the shackle.
The '82 had a homemade flip kit and air shocks, when I bought it. Looked cool but rode like crap. I un-flipped it and installed 4" lowered leaf springs, and longer shackles to fix it. (an another round of creative fuel fill work)

Since then I found out that a cheap fix is to install new rear "shackle frame mounts" from a 4x4 blazer.
(they are longer than the 2wd frame mounts, essentially raising the flip a little)
Then add the economical flip kit.
This allows a little more suspension travel after the flip kit is installed.

The down side to this mod,... is that the gas tank needs to be removed to grind rivets and bolt in the new 4x4 brackets.

The only other choice would be to install the flip kit by itself with a big notch and cut the floor for the rearend center section clearance.

Love any 2wd blazer or Tahoe builds,... so I'll be watching for updates!

Here's an old pic of my '82 2wd.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 11-22-2009 at 08:11 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote