View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #154
Kim57

Re: My 57 Pro Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Kim-
I'm going throught the same thing right now with aligning my doors. I thought my situation was unique. I had considered cutting my cage nuts loose on my upperhinges and relocating them more outboard so the top of the door could move outward and get the door's front edge and cowl more aligned. But, that would cause issues on everything forward of that gap. The fenders and the hood wouldn't line up, and you'd wind up having to add metal at all of your gaps in order to close them up. I'm an probably going to align the doors as best as possible, and then do bodywork to make everything look right. I did a shop tour at Boyd's years ago when he was in the old shop, and they were working on Cadzilla for Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. They got the doors as best they could by aligning and then closing up the gaps with sheet metal and welding rods, then they did a 36" sweep of filler from top to bottom at all of the door gaps and blocked the area until the gaps were consistent and the panel intersections were flat and even. I'm a stickler about panel gaps, and that amount of work that they did gave me a real appreciation of what it takes to make it look right.
I was talking to a body guy that took over one of the buildings that Boyd was in after he died (he's doing my brothers truck). He told me that these old vehicles are like that. Some things fit nice and some are way off. My passenger side is way better than the driver side. I took some measurements this weekend and it looks like the cowl was installed almost a 1/4" low on the driver side. I'm thinking about cutting it where it is supposed to line up with the fender and raising it. It's either that or lots of body filler in that area which is what was there when I bought it. The driver door is also wider at the top than the passenger opening. I guess the guy on that side was having a bad day.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote