View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #354
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Re: Patina, shop logo'd, rusty trucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
Thats how the patina look is essentially created, as people began to like the look of naturally rusted and weathered Trucks, they started creating it for themselves. Some though are successfull as with Buddy's truck...imo, and others really do look fake.
This was at a car show here in the UK, not a good patina look...imo

Oh I know how and why its done but unless you're very good at it imo it looks like a bag of ass. I honestly do get the real patina look, it looks great if you live somewhere hot and dry like Arizona or Nevada etc but over here in the UK the fake stuff being done just looks like a rusty old POS or something from a theme park. It also makes me cringe when I see people taking a classic vehicle with great sheet metal and then pouring paintstripper over it followed by vinegar etc to make it rust, especially as I've spent the last 25 odd years fighting off rust from my cars. I saw pictures recently of a really lovely Beetle that someone just ripped the paint off and left it to rust. Its huge in the VW scene and I've even seen it done on late model cars like a 90's Passat and recent Golfs.

This was at my local show this summer, this I get and indeed really liked, very original down to the farm supplies company stickers in the windows but slammed on big rims with a lovely stainless side exit exhauts system.

I didn't get the one that had patches of very obviously deliberately exposed red oxide primer and bare metal that had all been cleared over to stop it rusting.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission