View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #65
spankbomb

Re: Ole Rusty-86 3/4 4WD

Nice build. You did a great job to the frame. Which product did you end up going with?

As far as your axle questions. The spring perches appear just fine. The driver side perch is welded onto the tube, while the passenger side is actually cast into the center section.

It appears you have an 8-lug 12-bolt front, but I could be wrong. The center section looks too rounded off to be a Dana axle (either 44 or 60). I assume the GM axles have a similar spindle nut you will need to remove in order to remove the hub, rotor.

The sockets are only $10, and I'd highly recommend getting the one that works for this application. You may be able to tear it down with a screwdriver and a hammer, but you won't be abe to torque it down to the correct spec with one.

I've rebuilt a junkyard front Dana 60 before, and I would recommend looking into getting inner and outer axle seals and replacing the kingpins since you have it all apart. Also, you may want to replace the axle u-joints since you're in there and make sure the ears on the axle shafts themselves are not spreading.

Later,
Jon D.
spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote