View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #91
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 5.7 TBI in an 86????? Anyone done this swap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Great writeup. I'm thinking of starting something similar. I have a 92 tbi motor and 4L80E trans out of a dually. I originally was gonna swap the tbi to carb and install a HEI (then I'd have to get a different trans too) but I see where a lot of you are doing the harness and tbi install. I have the complete donor truck and so far I've unhooked the harness from under the hood and taken the ECM out. I have no idea what I'm doing though. I'm completely old school. I don't see mention of how to actually get power to the ECM. I know there are a few guys who will re-work harnesses for the LS swaps so that you only have to hook up three wires when you get it back. You didn't use the complete donor car's harness from under the dash and all did you? This is like an electrician's nightmare to me.
That 92 TBI is basically the same engine/tranny I used. It would be a great donor engine. Okay, as far as the underdash wiring went, I trimmed as much of that off as I could at the ECM. If I do another one, I will take the harness off the engine and cut out all the unused wires (like the Power steer sensor wires). Hooking up the power is straight forward, there are only a few connections that have to hot. Some with the key on and in run, some hot all the time. You should have a buss on the firewall of your donor next to the relays. I think you can keep all this intact on your new project. I will help you any way I can, I'm sure you can count on Cableguy and RFMaster to help you too. Those guys are the best and forgot more about tbi then I will ever know. Anyway, get an ECM diagram for your 92 and take your time with the harness, it will work, I guarantee if I can get through it you can too. (I suck at wiring)
Here are a few helpful threads:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317519
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/tbi350.php

Mike
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote