View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
mike16

Re: Newbie with a 72 c10

latest progress: new tracking arm installed, new springs installed, new shocks installed, flushed out the rear end.

11:41 gear set is about a 3.73 open rear

Pulled the springs out and found the tag you see attached to one of them

Origional shocks on this one. These shocks are origional ac/delco. shocks dont have a date like castings do. Example G-18-71 would be august 18 1971 on a casting some even narrow it down to day shift and night shift, others go further still and have a little clock......anyway. on shocks you have a Julian Date. That there are 365 days in a year and the julian dat starts at 1(jan 1st) and ends at 365 (Dec 31st)

so whats the point...the date on my shocks, the rear ones anyway are 258-70. the shocks were manufactured almost a full year before the truck came down the assembly line!!! all the other dates so far encountered fall between the middle of july of 71 and the middle of august of 71. the door sticker states my truck was made in 8-71 and sold in the third week of sept of 71.

Tommarrow my goal is to fill the rear and tranny with lube, replace the front shocks, lube the front end. install new hoses and filters. and as part of insatlling new cab mounts I will be pulling the seat and will be looking for the build sheet.
Attached Images

Last edited by mike16; 12-10-2009 at 09:16 PM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote