View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #46
383Ram

Re: Crossbred, 454 into an '85 Ram

Scootin', i know what you mean. I am a big Mopar guy, but always like to tinker---and i flat out like all cars. I am not biased in the least so this doesnt bother me at all. I actually had this thought to do this in my DartSport (dodge version of a Duster), years ago, and then also a small block mopar into a Nova. Always been intriuged by off beat swaps, but never did it.

The original plan a few years back on this truck was to put a TPI small block in it, but then i found out that setup is pretty limited in capacity. And to me, if your going to do a swap like this, it better put out something (kinda like the hot girl you really want but at the end of the night she better scream, LOL).

I was fine and halfway there with a 383 deal, then a long weekend selling at a swap meet put a bug in me and i was fourtunate enough to get into these big blocks fairly cheap. The other part i really like about this swap, is it could be all put back to stock pretty easily. The only major mod i mod to the the whole truck was to notch the top of the frame rails for header clearance. The booster mod would have probably been done if i ran a Mopar big block, because they run into the same clearance issue. I made everything else bolt in, the engine stands on the frame are bolt in and use the pre-existing mopar mounting holes. The only other major mod i am going to do, is to notch the front crossmember for some better clearance around the oil pan. It fits just fine as is, but you would have to pull the engine to get it off---no way to do it in the truck.

I will still try and get pics of the completed booster set up, but as of now, i am in a parts collection stage to put the motor together. I cant do any work on the truck itself because it is residing outside (did i mention it has only been inthe 20's here---i think winter is finally here) due to a tub job i just started on a friends car. That should take me to about Feb or so i figure before i can bring the truck back into the garage. Gotta make the sacrifices to earn the money to play, LOL.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote