View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
ya it is a classic

Re: questions about the 55 chevy 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
My 59 stock (235/3 speed stock rear 3.70??) got about 12 mpg empty. Top speed was 60 before the lifters started pumping up. Only 4x4 then was a NAPCO conversion. Without looking I think 1960 was the first year 4x4 were built on the assembly line. Kit was a short drive line, divorce transfer, front driveline, front axle and shortened rear driveline, fender emplems and dash decal with instruction. It was designed so it could be dropped in, then pulled and moved on to the next truck (thats what the sales literature said!). Only mods to the truck were cutting additional holes in the floor for the shift lever. There is a Napco site, with a really cool video of a TF Napco truck climbing Pikes Peak without using any roads. In a could of places they had to use a winch to get over some boulders but it really shows how tough these old six cylinder trucks were. I suspect the truck in the video had lower geared diffs than stock.
ya i watched that on youtube a couple months ago, those trucks are beasts. so how much would a kit cost and how much work to put it in. also how easy are they to find?
ya it is a classic is offline   Reply With Quote