View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
mickman77

Re: TH 350 to NV 4500 swap

Sorry I haven't been here much. It's been a helluva month. Between the cold and time constraints, I didn't take many pics. I do have alot of info though.

1) The trans had to be shimmed up 3.5" to get engine/tranny to sit right to avoid carb problems which led to a 2" body lift. (the transfer case was bumping the bottom of the cab)

2) Both driveshafts had to be lengthened about 2"

3) If you need the rod between the clutch master and the pedal, DON'T buy the master kit from Autozone. (I did and, the plastic end where it bolts to the pedal broke off when I was in Primm NV at 11:30 at night with no parts stores for 40 miles) Buy the Raybestos part from Checkers (out west), it's all metal.

4) Placement of the clutch master was the biggest problem. Setting it up initially, with the pedal against the floorboard and the rod level, I marked and drilled the holes. The initial pedal weight was like pushing a baby elephant. Trial and movement of the master has yielded a slightly more user friendly effort but, am still adjusting that.

5) Did I mention that I love my new 5 speed? Fuel economy has taken a significant rise IF I can keep my foot out of the 4 barrel.....

6) I really don't have any clearance issues with the pass side ext slave because the 4" suspension lift already in the truck changed all the angles and therefore no issues.

When I get the bracket for mounting the transfer shift lever, I'll snap some pics and post them on here of the installed tranny/transfer to give you an idea of how things look.