View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #44
Conroe trucker
SWBs: 67 2x4, 67 4x4, 70 4x4

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

When I repsonded to your PM I had not read your Project Build, my error.

The spare tire brace on your frame is not on mine, so that is how I was able to run such a large tank, I went all the way up to the next crossmember.
Take the time and make sure you do not put the filler neck into a brace under the bed, but close enough to the back of the bed that you can reach it with the tailgate down.
If you have the time, also try to make the filler cap line up on one of the raised parts of the bed.
This makes it look a little better.
We beat the raised portion flat, to match the end of the bed, and mounted a flush stainless steel marine fill cap.
It looks completely stock.

If you were going to that cross member for shock mounting you could always move it up closer to the axle.

With the traction bar set-up you are building you might not really need dual shocks.
Your design will limit the arc of travel for the axle to the point I don't think another set of shocks would be required.
The traction bar has taken the twist out of the axle a dual shock was trying to control.
You have no twist now, only up and down motion.

Just my thoughts.

Also you might weld the nuts to the inside of the frame to attach the tank to.
If you notice in my picture, only a very small child's hand can reach the nuts on mine to tighten the tank and attach the rear bumper brackets.
I got her on steroids to bulk her arm up, but I doubt she will really be able to get 45 ft lbs on it.........
I may still drop the tank and weld them in.

Also as a note I made every single mistake you have made. God the memories..........
Attached Images

01 C5 convertable
08 Z06

Last edited by Conroe trucker; 01-09-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Conroe trucker is offline   Reply With Quote