Hart_Rod

Re: My side marker light fuel filler idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Looks like a neat idea, I believe this is the nozzle he's talking about;

I think that one will still work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
I believe they are talking more along these lines, the pump has the boot, it recycles the fumes for better greenhouse effects, and if not depressed will not dispense fuel, of course you can manually depress the boot, and fill , but it may be a tight spot on the marker light ...
It would be easy to check. Take your side light out the next time you fill up and see how difficult it is to get the nozzle in there. I've been filling mine this way for almost 3 months and haven't had one problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz72project View Post
Great idea! Although from the litteral sense with just the bare mechanics of it...it is a bit of a pain in the neck. I have seen this mod done up close and personal and the angle is just super tight to get the nozzle in there with out mareing up the paint in some form or fashion. The ones I have seen completed used a modified gas door of of a S10. I wonder how well the cabinet hinge would work on the tail light? Might be able to get a better approach possibly.
I haven't had any problems filling it, but maybe the FL nozzles are made differently. The same concept should work with the tail light without any problem. The only problem with going the taillight route, you have to cut some of the bed supports out in order to route a fuel filler hose. I will probably play with this concept on my Crewcab since it isn't painted yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
Im watching this one. Looks good.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I have seen a plastic gas cap that has a hole just big enough for the nozzle and does not have to be taken off to be filled. The hole has a sping loaded closure that closes everything up tight when you remove the hose. Might work good in tight places.
I don't think they make a cap like that, that would be small enough to fit in the small area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72pu View Post
Here is a picture of one from the Moultrie swap meet last November. Not very detailed picture though.
That one uses a door lid off of a later model truck. Same concept, but it doesn't use the original side marker holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
I like that!!!!

No specs on the bends by chance?
Two 1" bends front each end to form a "C". You want to leave approximately 2" in the middle. The middle dimension should equal the depth of the tail light pocket. I initially used an "L" bracket, but decided to go with the "C" bracket to add more support to the mounting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
I don't know about this one looks like it would scratch up the paint with time if you are not very very careful. Just like some door key holes that get scratched up with time after a while. Looks good though...
Are you saying it would get scratched from the light or the fuel nozzle?
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote