View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #774
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Re: How about some pics of 73-91 crew cabs

I want to share a little story that happened to me in my quest to find a nice crewcab for my next project. As many of you on this forum know these trucks are hard to find in decent shape. So I searched high and low and after kicking over a few rocks I found a diamond in the rough. well beside a barn 2hours away from my house. So I contact the seller via the Craigslist address given and bam the guy calls me like 2seconds later. He's an older gentleman who doesn't do well with computers but apparently his wife is a wiz so she got my email and told him to call me. So he begins to tell me all about this wonderful 86 crewcab all stock 454 rebuilt 700R4 automatic 2wd which he bought solely to pull a 5th wheel trailer hauling his race cars to the track, since he owns a mechanic shop and races on weekends. After talking for awhile 45min or more about his business and his kids have all grown and gone etc. he says he's only the 3rd owner the truck was original bought by a company that installs the 5th wheel hitches that swivel and hide under the bed when not in use. Apparently this truck has the only demo hitch ever made mounted in the bed. Although in my head all I was thinking is ya ya that's cool old man now how much do you want so I can get to cutting this beast in half to make a CCShortBed. The going price was the exact amount I was selling my 91 suburban for and therefore was perfect. So we emailed pictures and info back and forth many times and even talked numerous times on the phone throughout the week. Now this is were the story gets a little tricky. I have to sell my suburban in order to buy the crewcab. But luckily enough I have a nice family in need of my suburban for there growing family and as it turns out they live only 25miles from this new crewcab. So I devise a plan, being I will drive 1hr 1/2 from my house meet both parties at the local walmart parking lot. I will sell my suburban to said family and then in turn purchase the crewcab and everyone is on there merry way. Unfortunately 18inches of snow and ice storm roll through and so we decided to postpone the deal a week. Then I get a call from mr. crewcab who want's me to put down $500 deposit towards the truck purchase to secure the deal because he has another buyer ready that day. Since I was selling my suburban to fund the crewcab purchase it only made sense for me to ask the family to also put down the deposit. No harm no foul right...wrong
I get a paypal money request and forward my portion but then get a weird email back from paypal saying there was some sort of error with the transaction. so the next morning I emailed mr. crewcab to work something out. I get an email back says. I sold the truck lastnight because I thought you weren't interested in the deal anymore since I sent you the paypal invoice @330pm and hadn't received payment quickly enough I sold it. Sorry hope you understand. thanks.
So somewhere out there maybe another board member is laughing because here is the truck that is sitting in someone elses driveway.....
Attached Images

Last edited by BGRAFX; 01-16-2010 at 01:21 AM.