View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

Re: 1971 GMC Jimmy 4X4 craigslist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jimmy View Post
There is something to be said for buying something already done. You can enjoy it now. However some of us take great pride in transforming junk into a jewel. My whole intention since starting mine was to build it my way. And I will have the benefit of knowing 100% what lies beneath. For some of us it's about

"BUILT NOT BOUGHT"

You can spend boocko bucks for something nice and find out later that the rust is coming through that nice paint job or your motor is junk.
True,,,,I'm all for building and restoring, I have a few cars I've done frame off's on. Anymore though I tend to prefer to start with a rust free example. Mine was a complete running rust free (all original body panels) blazer when I bought it,,,but that didn't mean I wouldn't tear it apart. I've already been through most of it, which is typical for me whenever I buy something. So technically speaking I know 100% of what lies beneath as well.
If you know what to look for you can be certain what you are getting.

I passed on a $10,000 blazer that I couldn't even drive home, not for that reason,,,but because I could tell someone put rockers on it, and the job wasn't that great. Overall the rest of the truck was decent.
This may not shy most people away, but it made me wonder what other rust needed repaired so I passed. I wouldn't have cared if it was a bare shell for that price, as long as it was rust free and I had a solid starting point

Although this particular truck forsale appears to be mostly complete, everyone has their own standards, I'm sure we could all find something to fix or change on this one and make it that much better
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote