View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #79
yellow70GMC

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
I must be missing something. I'll trust you on this for your setup. The more I think about it, essentially what you've done is created a sort of combined trailing arm and leaf spring suspension in one. Sorta.

As for my Caltracs, I'm not preventing fore-aft movement. That's not what a good traction control system does. My goal is the same as what you called it but not what you described: preventing spring (axle) wrap, which isn't fore-aft movement at all but rotation of the axle in place, causing the leaf springs to "wrap" into an S shape. During normal driving the axle still needs to be able to move forward and backward as I described previously and hence the need for the front pivot. Under hard acceleration, however, if the axle tries to rotate forward, the Caltracs prevent this rotation.

But like I said, I'm not an engineer and maybe I'm missing something. I'll leave it at that and hope it perfectly works for you. Sometimes I overthink things.

Cheers,
Brent
He's right, and i'm afraid you're going to break your front mounting points on those bars if you beat on the truck too hard. I hope you don't, though. But yeah "axle-wrap" refers to the axle twisting, not moving forwards and backwards. It needs to move forwards and backwards, that's what the shackle is there for. Brent already described it perfectly. Not tryin to knock your build at all, just my .02 cents. Whether or not my opinion is really worth that much or not is debatable trucks looking great though, can't wait to see more.