View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #84
6600DURAMAX

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

I am also not an expert on the traction bar issue but I do have some great first hand knowledge of the system. This traction bar issues is alwasys a huge debate from both sides. Yes the type of traction bars I build will provide a stiffer ride (than without the bars) but it will definatly keep your axle planted on the ground. If you mount a ladder bar system (bars on top and bottom of the axle that connect to the frame at a single point) this ride will be even harsher and allow almost zero movement in any direction. The bars I built keep the axle planted MOST OF THE TIME. I am running a 468 with 35's and a line lock. If I lock the front and mat it I get some wheel hop, if I let off and feather the throttle (keep it under 6000rpm) the hop goes away. I have found out the longer the bar the better. A true four link system is best way to ensure no wheelhop.
We have multiple trucks running the single bar system and have overall good luck all around.

If I was going to critique your bars at all I think they are a little short, other than that you will have to watch the heims you are using. They will were out pretty quick and start to rattle. If you dont drive it a bunch it could take a long time though.

Great build, keep it up!!

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote