Thread: TH350 to 700R4
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #67
big dump

Re: TH350 to 700R4

Well, I got everything buttoned up, and took it for some test drives (short, 2 miles max) trying to get the TV cable set up correctly. The first few, I had the tension set too strong, in other words, a shorter cable, and the 1-2 shift was too hard and at too high an RPM ~2,500. The 2-3 shift felt good, and the 3-4 shift felt good but I thought it was too aggressive so I adjusted again.

I tried both methods described online, maxing out the cable adjustment (pulling toward the TBI), and then shortening with WOT, as well as minimizing the adjustment (pushing toward the transmission), and then letting the TV cable 'ratchet' out under WOT and both forms of adjustment netted me the same length of cable, which transitioned into soft shifting from 1-2 and 2-3, however, from 3-4 under this adjustment the transmission shifts into gear, then clunks.

My thought is that I either don't have the TV cable adjusted correctlly, I have the wrong length TV cable, or the custom bracket that I made has improper geometry. I think that I need to measure a stock vehicle to get the length between the throttle shaft center of the TBI, and the plate that the TV mounts to. I'm not sure if that geometry affects the TV, and I figured that it was adjustable for that very reason however I'm not comfortable driving it until I get it worked out.

Anyone have 'stock' measurements of the distance from the TBI throttle shaft center pin and the front of the TV plate? Any other thoughts?

Last edited by big dump; 02-01-2010 at 12:47 PM.
big dump is offline   Reply With Quote