View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #164
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED72blazer View Post
it's late and I'm in trouble. But it was worth reading the whole thing. I love your writing style. Great build!
Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it--especially after you invested that much time into it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Does your vibration rattle your teeth out? I have seen this before! Believe it or not, a bent cage on a wheel bearing was the cause!
No rattle in my teeth. It is a DEEP harmonic vibration. It feels like every piece of metal is trying to explode simultaneously. It is like the harmonic vibration meets up with the natural frequency of the metal and at that point the vibration goes nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Fantastic build!! You have some great talent.
What has your mileage been lately?
Thank you!! Mileage in town averages right at 18mpg. I have gotten a best of 19.5 and ironically, that was in summer with the A/C on. The worst I have gotten in town is 15.5, but that was driving it like I stole it. The 18mpg is VERY repeatable. On the road trip last month I averaged 14.5mpg. The reason it is so bad is because the gears are so deep and the motor spins much faster than it should. If I can get the engine speed down at 65-75mph, then the mileage should go up significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Awesome build! Way to build a great looking & performing Suburban. EXCELLENT!!!
Thank you!! Yeah, when you want a Cummins and don't care for Dodges, there is only one way to go I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
So, details on those steel wheels and BfGs?
The wheels are stock GM 16 x 6.5" steel wheels that were available on a bazillion GM trucks troughout the 70's and 80's. The tires are somewhat strange though. They are 255 85 R16 BFG M/T KM's. The size is what drew me to them as I was able to use them on a 6.5" wheel. The dimensions come out to be about 33 x 10. This was perfect--tall and skinny, ready to go on my "old man" wheels. They went on, but even with the hubcaps, the truck lost the "old man" image. That image is gone, but I think it still looks cool, just in a different way.