View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Re: Longer leaf springs and shackle flip questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan71 View Post
Okay, here is what I know and its not alot. I have been researching on how best to lift m 1972 k2500. The shackle flip deal is good if you dont plan on hauling trailers or loads as the shackle reversal doesnt support weight as well as the factory design, it puts the shackle under compression rather than tension and would likely make it want to roll under heavy weight. If your springs are shot you could have them rearched, here in Tulsa that costs 150 for both rear springs and then with the added cost of the shackle flip you have just bought yourself a new set of springs. Tuff country has a affordable setup that rides good but they dont recommend towing with it unless you add overloads because they are easy rides front and rear. I know Rough Country are supposed to ride very rough but I am converting to a big block and I still want towing capacity so I will likely be going that direction. Let me know what you think about that I have been thinking I might email them and try and get a group buy discount for those who are interested.
I don't think I lost any trailering ability from my shackle flip.

Because of the nature of the beast it does effectively decrease the spring rate of your springs just a bit, but not tremendously. It does offer much better flex and a little better ride in compression form if your shackle angles are correct. With a ~8,000 lbs load heavy on the tongue weight, I had about 1" of sag in the rear, but it was on a 9,200 gvwr truck so I have pretty heavy springs.

For around 4" you really can't beat ORD's shackle flip kit for the rear. Longer leafs will make your ride better, but you must relocate your hangers in order to fit them. 63-64" leafs from 88+ GMs are a popular swap.

Basically any time you buy lift springs with a high arch you are going to ride rougher as there is no way to get around increasing the spring rate as well as decreasing mechanical advantage when going that route. For a 4" lift I recommend shelling out the $$ for good springs in the front (Deaver if they make them for this application) and then a shackle flip in the rear to retain at least factory ride in the rear.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s

Last edited by GCncsuHD; 02-19-2010 at 01:32 PM.
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote