View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #105
mtharleydavidson

Re: 71 4x4 BBC Swap: Doing what I should have done the first time!

Been a while since I had any updates. First off, you were spot on with the Header selection... The 2455HKR fit very nicely, but will require that the engine be raised a bit in the mounts to clear on the drivers side. For me, a 1" lift will solve all my problems. This will allow clearance of the frame rails and clearance in the oil pan. I called Kert at DIY4X and they are fabricating new engine mounts for me that simply add 1" of height to the existing mounts. Should be a simple fix.

I did have a couple of modifications I needed to do to the headers. My 502 BB has ARP head bolts that are pretty tall, so I had to notch the header flanges a bit to clear the lower head bolts. It was either that or use different head bolts but I had a hard time time finding low clearance bolts better than grade 8. I also shortened the collectors about 4" as they were getting pretty close to the T-Case crossmember and I was concerned about the exhaust. passenger side. I added some pics to hopefully show what I am up to... BTW the 2817HKR's were a bag of hurt...
Name:  BBC_IMG_5.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  BBC_IMG_3.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  BBC_IMG_6.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  BBC_502_1971_Chev.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  54.3 KB