View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #45
Monte Carlo Man

Re: blazer roll bar and roll cage pics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Rules state no selling in the message forums.
I wasn't selling - I just offered him my old roll bar - which he could use or use as a pattern.

But I also reminded him of the safety factor.

Unless the bars are welded to a steel pad, welded to the frame of the vehicle, the roll bar does absolutely nothing to protect the occupants in a roll over.

I don't have any pictures of the '71 Blazer the roll bar came out of, but it was rolled over. That was why my dad junked it.

The fiberglass roof offered no protection in a roll over and is probably the reason why GM abandoned them and went to a half roof a couple of years later. Then to a full steel roof a couple of years after that.

In the state of Pennsylvania, if a brand new vehicle rolls over, the insurance company has to junk the vehicle - the insurance company is not allowed to repair the vehicle because the roof is part of the structure of these new vehicles and once the structure has been compromised, you cannot tell someone that it will be safe in a second crash at a later date.

Other then that, you could have a brand new $48,000 vehicle with $40,000 of damage and they will try to fix it. Only the car fax report will tell on you when you go to resell it, so the owner gets screwed if he allows the car insurance company to repair the vehicle.

I drove a rental car for 3 months one year because they refused to junk my brand new 2002 Monte Carlo SS that was hit from behind by a person who over dosed on med's and ran into it when it was only 12 weeks old and had 1,700 miles on it. Even with a full replacement policy on my car insurance.

Unless the accident is your fault, the other persons insurance company has to pay for your damages and also tells you what they are or are not going to do.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote