Thread: cuttin' coils
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #31
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Re: cuttin' coils

OK, so I finally found some time to get some work done. This weekend I replaced all the ball joints, and shocks. I got 2 of my slots intalled as well. Still have some polishing to do on the other 2. I also cut one wrap out of the front coils. The general consensus was that you can get somewhere between 1.5-2.5 inches of drop from cutting one wrap. I got around 1.5". I was hoping more for the 2.5 mark, but it looks ok. Plus I still haven't taken it out on the road yet, so the springs may settle a bit more. I wanted to replace the 40 yr old ball joints anyway, and that was the main reason for this endeavor. I will probably go around 2.5 in the back to level it out. On a side note, I guess MOOG has decided to throw away quality control and sell crap. tried 2 sets of ball joints before I just bought the store brand, 3 out of 4 MOOG joints pulled so far in that the cotter pin was 1/4 in above the castle nut. One of the joints came with the wrong size nut! Store brand fit like OEM. Made in China or not, they still fit better than MOOG. Ball joint press is the only way to fly! Sorry for the novel, I'll post some pics in a couple weeks when I get the rear sorted out.