View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
draggin37

4wd to 2wd Blazer conversion

So I've had this 72 4x for around 12 years. The frame was blasted primered adn painted years ago and then i lost all interest....I was 16 and started chasing skirt, we all know where that leads.

This was sittin around not getting any attention the other day when i realized i had all the makings for another 2wd blazer ( i already have a stock 71 2wd). Using a 2wd pickup front crossmenber, control arms and disc brakes from a 77 van (van crossmembers are too wide) and a 78 blazer 5 lug rear from a previous project i was on my way.

I pulled the old rear axle and mounted the new 5lug on top of the springs with a set of axle pads i had layin around. Then out came the 4x front crossmember and axle. I stuck the 2wd crossmember in place and found that there is a bolt hole on each side inside the framerail that matched up. after drilling some remaining holes the front was bolted up.

That left me with what you see in the pictures. Not too shabby for a couple days work. I have a 292 L6 and a turbo 350 to drop in to make it a little more complete.

Seeing how I already have a 2wd i think this one is gonn go to the Portland Swap meet in a couple weeks.

Always wanted to do one of these conversions and now i have to wonder why more people that want 2wds don't do the same. 4x frames are nice and straight above the rear axle witch would be nice for C notching.

Better get back at it, got a few more 4x brackets to cut off.

J
Attached Images